I'm back and have years of blogging to make up...

It has been a couple years since I last blogged.  I really miss it in so many ways.  I'm not sure why I stopped, but I did and when I wanted to start up again, my new blog (2009-2013) had disappeared from the server I had stored everything.  Although I couldn't remember any individual post, I feel a loss for those forever missing posts.  There are a few that were on archive.org and from time to time, I'll re-post them as a glimpse back to my lost achieves.  Here is one from just after I made the move to the new (now lost) blog format.  It's about Molly, who at the time was only four years old.  Time flies...

August 3rd, 2009

The other night, while driving home from the NJ state Fair, Molly was fast asleep in her booster and she started laughing.  She was completely asleep and this wasn’t a little giggle, this was something quite joyous.  Lindy says she does this every once in a while and I saw it only once before, but it makes me wonder if other children do this.  I looked briefly online and I saw a few posts by parents (with older children) who experienced something similar.  It got me thinking about something else that Molly does while sleeping that is more common.  Once she is asleep, it is hard to wake her up.  It’s not just that I could carry her up from the car and she won’t wake up, but I can roll her over, put on her pajamas, pull a blanket out from under her; basically she is going to stay asleep.  It is like her brain has shut down the connections from her body to her brain.  Now, this isn’t the case for most grown-ups.  I wonder why her brain does this?  Does it need to focus on other nighttime activities, like dreams, growing, or recovery? Perhaps it is the most efficient way of sleeping, but over tens of thousands of years, the grownups who slept like this would be in danger from predators.  Grownups who would wake up easier could try to escape or defend themselves, while small children were at the mercy of predators whether they woke up or not.

Children do amazing things when they sleep that grown-ups don’t.  Children heal faster, their brain develops faster, their memory (of certain things) is better, they wake up happier, and other positive attributes.  It would be interesting to study children who sleep this deeply vs those who do not and see if there are any correlations to the physical, emotion, or intellectual attributes of the children.  Then compare those attributes to adults who sleep that deeply as well.


In the end, I’m just happy that Molly is having nice dreams.  :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Disney v DeSantis