Sight beyond Sight

15 years ago, I made one of the best decisions on my life.  I had LASIK to correct my vision.  It took 5 minutes, costs about $3,000 and my vision has been wonderful ever since (more on that in a bit).  Prior to the surgery, my vision wasn't terrible, but bad enough that I had to wear contacts/glasses all the time.  I could have remained in contacts forever, but the investment was well worth the increase in quality of life.  How much money is it worth to never have to worry about contacts, or to be able to see in the middle of the night?  Over 15 years the cost of contacts would have easily exceeding $3,000, but even without those costs it would be worth it.  For 50 cents a day, I see clear.

Appreciation of what you have is one of the most difficult things for anyone.  It is why people always seem to want more and don't actually become happier (even as technology makes our lives much easier).  I rarely appreciate the wonders of indoor plumbing, air-conditioning, cars, or computers; however, I regularly appreciate my vision.  I earnestly think about it at least once a week and am grateful.

15 years later, my vision is just barely starting to get worse (which is pretty amazing considering that I stare at the computer screen most of the day).  My left eye is 20/25 and my right eye is 20/40.  There is no need for contacts and I can see everything that I need very well.  Still, wouldn't it be nice if my vision was even sharper.  And so, I went back to Dr. Dello Russo last week (this was my first visit to any eye doctor since my original eye surgery).  They said that they can correct the vision in my right eye without an problem.  The procedure now takes only as few seconds, which is ridiculous (it used to take a few minutes, which seemed just fine to me).  However, this time I don't really "need" vision correction, it would it like upgraded from a HDTV to 4K (more on 4K in a future post).  Do I spend the extra cash to correct my right eye forever, or just deal with what I have?  The longer I wait, the less value, so if I'm going to do this eventually, the sooner the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy