Trump Message for 2017

There was so much I could have written about the presidential election, but that time in past.  Perhaps one day, I'll write to write a retrospective.  I wanted to make a few quick predictions for the upcoming year.

- Trump is justify many of his actions with a phrase similar to "I know things that you don't, which I can share because they are top secret, but Believe Me, there is a good reason for this."  This is a great line that can justify just about anything and impossible to disprove. I think this will become a powerful theme for the next year.

- I don't know if it will be all out "trade war", but I firmly believe that he will be able to pass significant rules/legislation that reduces the incentives for companies to out-source to other countries. This is overwhelmingly popular among the masses, although it will be opposed to big corporations (who makes tons of money from outsourcing).  This could split the Republican party, but I think it will still happen.

- The Wall.  I see very little reason why Trump can't build a significant part of a border wall.  The cost is actually quite low in the big scheme of things.  New York just spend $6 Billion on the somewhat necessary 2nd Ave Subway line.  $30 Billion for a wall won't a financial barrier.

The world is a complex place and sometimes the simple ideas just don't work.  Threatening North Korea seems like a great idea, but they can slaughter 15 million people in an instant.  Regulations are put there for a reason and removing them can have negative consequences.  Lowering taxes sounds great, but if the economy doesn't show tremendous growth that is a problem for the budget (fyi, there is no historical evidence that lower taxes leads to overall growth for the economy, specifically for the middle or lower classes).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy