Enough is Enough - Saying Good Bye to the J-E-T-S

@nyjets @Espngreeny @espngolic

I have been a Jets fan my entire life; 40 years of cheering for the team that Joe Namath led to the Superbowl.  Around the moment of my conception, the Jets actually waived Joe Namath, unceremoniously throwing away their greatest legend.  They replaced him with Richard Todd, yes that's the same Richard Todd that nobody can remember.  That was the start of my life with the Jets. 


In that time, I have seen the Jets rise and fall, up and down, never once getting back to the Super Bowl.  I can handle the losing, but over the past five years a new thought has slowly grown in the recesses of my conscious.  The Jets are a poorly run franchise, both unprofessional and incompetent.  This is just a fact. They are unable to draft good players on any consistent basis, the ownership is repellent and uninterested, the coaches are overwhelmed, and the players don't seem to have any passion for the game.  Their owner, Woody Johnson was born into the Johnson and Johnson empire and as far as I can tell never had any real job. Johnson doesn't even spend any time with the team or in the country (He is currently Donald Trump's Ambassador to the United Kingdom).  Even the nickname for the team, Gang Green, is based after one of the most disgusting infections imaginable (Gangrene is named after the Latin phrase meaning "putrefaction of tissues").  

Recently, the eras of Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith were marked by a few good games, followed by years are trying (and failing) to recapture that brief flash in a pan.  The Jets lost on my wedding day, and have generally brought nothing but misery; so why am I a fan?  Well, my father is a fan and raised me to be a fan, but the Jets never earned it.  And now the Jets are purposely throwing the entire season.  They cut quality players like David Harris, Eric Decker, and Brandon Marshall just so they could lose more games.  They are starting a terrible veteran QB, so that there is not even hope of one of the young QBs having a decent season.  The future is as bleak as ever.  Even if they get a top draft pick, they will surround him with below average players and a environment of losing.  I have always said that we must always seek new, accurate information and make our decisions based on the facts (even if it is a change from a previous opinion).  It took 40 years, but when I look at the facts, they are clear.  Football is supposed to make my life better, or happier, or less stressful, or have some overall positive impact.  To achieve this goal, the only option is to leave the Jets behind.  Good-bye.

As a New Yorker, I have another option, the New York Football Giants, a team that is run by one of the most professional ownership families in sports.  The Mara's have owned the team since 1925 and have put every ounce of their heart, passion, and purse into being a winning football team.  They have won 3 Superbowls in my lifetime, including two epic victories over the New England Patriots.  They have a QB who has only had one bad season in the last decade.  They have excited players on both sides of the line, including the dynamic (although arrogant) Odell Beckham Jr..  I'm not jumping on the bandwagon, but I was on a sinking paper ship, when another ship (with an actually captain, engine, and hull) just happens to be right next door.  I loved that sinking ship, but it didn't love me.  And it didn't have any hope.  So I say goodbye to the J-E-T-S as I see a new sunrise over the horizon and smile for the first time in years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy