15,778,440 minutes and counting; turning 30

This Saturday, three days from today, will mark the 30th time I have traveled around sun. In that time, the earth has travelled a swift 17,530,086,987 miles, over the course of only 10,950 days.

I am having a hard time getting a handle on this seemingly large number, this number 30. It doesn’t seem right, it doesn’t seem possible. Growing up 30 seemed to be immersed in old-age, it was an age beyond youth, it was to be said in the same sentence as 40 or 50, but never with 20 or even 25. 30 year olds shouldn’t go out to bars, or play video games, or live in little NYC apartments, but although the number doesn’t seem right, I don’t do any of those anymore. I’m married and live in a house in Connecticut. I am a father. These are things in common with 40 year-olds, but not with 20 year olds. I have reached a weird stage of life where much of my future it already set, where some of the bug questions have already been answered. But I feel that I’m not ready, that it has happened too quickly, but it hasn’t been a flash of time. My 20s have been a moderate whirlwind of adventures and change. I don’t feel that I missed out on anything, but I also don’t feel like I accomplished everything I wanted. On the one side, I want to be young and free, but on the other side, I would have liked to achieve more success in my career by age 30. Perhaps I should try my mother’s trick of staying 29 years old. If I shaved my beard, I think I would have no problem convincing people for years to come, but I’m not sure I really want that either. I think I want the grown-up successes (to go along with my grown-up responsibilities). Well, maybe it doesn’t matter what I want, I am what I am. My body aches when I attempt to exercise, it takes weeks (not hours) to recover from injuries), I’ve already done most of the things that I could be doing, I have life insurance, I am getting older. What am I “old”?

“For a piece of fruit I am very old.For a mountain I have not yet begun to live.But for a man I am just right.”

Perhaps that is right, perhaps I am just right. Besides how old can I be, I still have my hair…for now.

Comments

Dan Welch said…
yeah, you are old as dirt. I think I have the same feelings about 30 too. Most people seem to don't they? Why is 30 such a bad age anyway? What in our minds originally made us go, oh crap I'm 30 I'm old. Why not 25? that way we'll be 1/4 to 100. Anywho, I'll be joining you in a few months. Let me know how that bingo and shuffleboard thing works out for you.
Anonymous said…
There are so many things that you don't know yet. You don't know where you'll travel, work or live. You could end up in thailand or timbuktu. You could live in Spain if you want to. You might change careers 3 or 4 times. You can choose any number of adventures if fatherhood in Connecticut turns out not to be enough. You're still a puppy and you'll find that the older you get, the less you know so in a way, you're always getting younger.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy