Where I get my news

Up until the election, I got most of my news from The Guardian, the NYTimes, Washington Post, or the Daily Show.  Since the election, I found myself searching more and more news sites to get a more complete perspective on the world.  This included Foxnews, CNN, Brietbart, and Politico.  I was surprised to find 75% of the news on Brietbart to pretty reasonable.  Yes, some of the stories were inflammatory or taken well out of context, but most of the stories represented a real perspective in this country.  The comments by the readers are an entirely different story and are significantly more radical.

The site that has most disappointed me is the NYTimes.  I am a very liberal person, but I want my news to be objective and the NYTimes just is not.  They actively spin the news to fit their agenda and the politics of their readers.  However, they still do a tremendous job of research and have some of the most comprehensive and original articles.  The Guardian still remains my favorite, although its objectivity can be questioned.

Recently, I am searching for more sites that provide objective information.  I found allsides.com, which takes articles on the same topic, from difference perspectives, and puts them next to each other.  For example, you can get the view from the left, the center, and the right on a specific issue.  I think this is good to really understand other people; however, I also really want to understand the facts.  Just today, I started reading articles in the Christian Science Monitor.  I wouldn't think this would be my cup of tea, but it was really well written and objective. As I learned more about the history of the paper, the more I liked it. I think it will be in my regular rotation moving forward.

(Note: Any newspaper that formally endorses a candidate loses points in my book.  How can  you claim to be objective when you are cheering for one side over the over)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy