Uppppppppppppppp!

Again a huge lapse in my posts, and for that I apologize. Life continues as an unending set of changes and challenges. In the past month, I have started a new job at the Westchester Children’s Association, extended my time at IRC for another month (part-time) as a consultant, searched for and purchased a car (more on that process in another post), had numerous family events, and celebrated Molly’s six month birthday. Overall, I am mostly ok, although I feel too scattered to be really efficient. Hopefully, things will settle into place in 2006. Perhaps I will write a year in review at some point, although the very idea of trying to relate everything that has happened is a bit overwhelming. However, I wanted to write at least part of that now…

I am a father. I am still coming to understand what means. All the other parents I talk to always say the same thing about their children, “I love my kids, although this is such a horrible age [no matter what age], but it’s the best thing in the world”. I have thought about this a lot and I’m still trying to work it out; is every age has so many problems then why does everyone love it so much. Is it some sense of social guilt? Is it simple denial, or is there something more. My guess is that our memories treasure the good things and dismiss the bad things. So after five years, you’ll have five years of good memories and only remember the recent challenges. It’s like good memories are served consecutively and bad ones are served concurrently. There are lots of things I can guess on, but this seems to be something that I just have to experience for myself.

These last six months have been challenging not just to me, but to Lindy and Molly. I would like to express my deepest respect, love, and admiration for the wonderful mothering Lindy has done. She has spent 95% of her time of the last six months within 10 feet of Molly, always there to provide love, care, smiles, and nourishment. It is clear that Molly appreciates it all and I see a strong bond already between them. Of course, there have been rough times and disagreements, but are learning new ways to deal with these new types of issues. We all want to be good parents, but sometimes its hard to also be good individuals as well. It is a challenge that I will continue to face and hopefully will improve myself and my ways.

As for Molly, she is growing up to be lovely little girl. She smiles when we give her something to smile about and dances when we play good music. She has even said her first word (and keeps saying it) that means something specific. She says “Up” (aka – uuuuuuP, and uppppppppp!); which means that she wants to stand (most kids mean “pick me up” when they say up, but molly just wants to stand). And she wants to stand all the time. She has strong legs and a very strong upper body. She can pull herself up from sitting sometimes and can stand indefinitely when holding onto something of the right height. I think she will walk very early, especially considering that she does not have interest in crawling or scooting. Just last night, she stood on her own for three second. Right after I wrote that, I can peer into the future and see myself looking back at time when I was exited that she stood for three seconds. Such is life and such is my life.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
6-24 months is the high water mark of cuteness. Katie and I think children have evolved to be cute during this period so you avoid destroying them.

It's like Molly in the car. She is cute, but admit it, when she is crying in the car like that you want to eat her with a nice kiante.
Anonymous said…
I must be very lucky. MY grandchildren are wonderful at any age. So, PLEASE do not eat any of them. NANA
Anonymous said…
What is it with you two? If i eat her it will be with a nice CHIANTI. But i had baked ziti so i'm ok for now. mommy
Glen Lipka said…
Chianti. Kianti. Tomato. Tomato. The important thing is to cook her enough. Food poisoning is usually due to undercooked meat.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy