Ambition

I’m still reading “Team of Rivals” and it gives me some hope about the future of humanity (which I have been lacking lately). It took Americans 50 years to slowly build enough moral strength to oppose slavery (actually, I mean Americans in the North, which was only half the country). The point is that something horrible was going on and eventually the people responded (and were willing to fight for their cause). Today I can see (or hope I see) the beginning of another moral revolution. As horrible as slavery was in the 1800s, equally horrible atrocities are occurring all over the world. Most people recognize that this is true; however there are no solutions or solution-based platforms that people can support. As a pragmatist, it is unrealistic to expect a country like the United States to move rapidly towards action; however, a slow change can hopefully occur. Before the Civil War, the Whig party was similar to today’s Democratic Party and when the issue of slavery became the most important issue in the country, the Whigs were not able to respond. A new party was formed with a specific moral agenda and an anti-slavery platform. In the future, I can see a third party slowly gaining power in the US until the issues of worldwide poverty and tyranny become the foremost issue of the day. I do not believe the current Democrats are able to respond effective to a call for action, and current Republicans will be compromised by their dedication to big business, nationalism, and their reluctance to sacrifice for others. A new party, led by passionate leaders, could have the ability to decimate the Democrats and absorb their constituents. It happened once before and it may happen again.

I read about men and women who fought so passionately against slavery for decades before the public really cared and I wonder if I would have done the same thing if I was in their place. I would think that I would have (as we all do), but perhaps I am in the same situation now. Should I be preaching on street corners or starting newspapers in order to help the millions of people who are suffering every day. Perhaps I am not a leader (I never really thought I was, but always thought I could be) and my time to help will come later on. I’m not doing nothing (I keep myself educated and work in an industry that helps people), but is that enough. Are any of us doing enough? Should we feel bad?

Tomorrow is my 29th birthday and perhaps that is one reason for the self-reflection. Although I have lived a good productive life so far, it is far from anything special. I have made a mark on those around me, but I have not affects the public in any meaningful way. Alas, there is still plenty of more time and things to do. I continue to try and do my best in my small little world and perhaps I’ll get the chance (or have the will to make sure I get the chance) to have some greater influence and contribute to the world in a positive way. Then again ambition in and of itself can be dangerous. Perhaps I need to learn more before I can do more.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
Mom says you are special. Just like those kids in the Olympics.

I used to think I was going to make my mark on the world. Now I think I am tired of Matthew getting into everyting and making a mess.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy