Global Impact

I was wondering about the impact of my existence on the world. Perhaps when people think about their impact they think about making a substantial change, but I’m talking about making the tiniest of change to someone life. How many people in the world have been impacted by my existence? This includes people that have had to wait an extra two seconds because my elevator stop was before there’s. People who got to work a second later because my car was on the road. People who had to grab a different bag of chips in the supermarket because I got the one before. And to go further, what about all the secondary impacts? Was that person in the elevator meeting someone else, who now had to wait a little longer for them to get there? What about people that I affect substantially, such as my daughter. Her whole existence, and everything she impacts, can be attributed back to me. I have friends from other countries so my impact might be international. What if I was at the airport and someone missed their flight to Hong Kong because my shoes set the security alarm off. After he missed his flight did his family is Hong Kong have to change all their plans? Certainly some people, famous people, have some kind of impact on almost the entire planet, but have I? Are we all really that important? Have billions of lives been changed because of you? If so, how long did it take before a person impacts 1,000 people (I would guess less than a day of life), or 1,000,000 people, or 6,529,497,641 (current world population). Is it a year, ten years, or a lifetime. Perhaps that is really the meaning of life? Well, perhaps not, but it kept me awake the other night so I decided to share it with you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have certainly impacted my life. It would be impossible to count in how many ways. And all of them would be positive.
Yo Momma
Glen Lipka said…
You haven't impacted mine.

Well, maybe that one time I smashed your head in the car in the rain and then dad hit me. Or the time you were DISTRACTING me and I rear-ended the other car on Rt. 304.

Are all of your impacts negative? You are bad luck! Stay away from the Dan's! God hates these Dan's!
lindy said…
something kept you awake at night other than molly??

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy