My name is Dan Lipka and I approved this ad.

In the Connecticut’s Democratic Senatorial Primary, Ned Lemont is taking on incumbent Joe Lieberman. Lieberman is best known for adding nothing to Al Gore’s presidential bid and than siding with Republicans on several important issues like invading Iraq and his general support for Bush during the war. Basically, Lieberman is a true moderate, neither democrat not republican, neither standing for anything, not fighting anything. His ties to the Democratic Party are so weak that if he loses the primary, he said he would run as an independent (yes, he would run against the very person he just lost to, in hope that he take many republican votes away from the actual republican candidate). Now, I admit, I know very little about Ned Lemont, except that he is really rich, is opposed to the war, and wishes he had a different first name. So my vote goes against Lieberman because I know he and I share very little in the ways of political ideology. As a resistant of Connecticut, I think Lemont will get just as much perks and pork for the state as Joe did, so I’m not worried about that. However, it’s sad the Democrats can’t find anyone better than either of these people (the republicans can’t find anyone decent to run either). Lemont’s story reminds me John Edwards. Both gained wealth through sadist professions (Edwards was a lawyer and Lemont was Cable TV executive). Both came out of nowhere to gain Senate seats, and both have liberal philosophies, but no real policies. (Note: Edwards was an even worse VP candidate than Lieberman, but not by much). So I hope Lemont wins and I hope Lieberman fades into the sunset. But if I had to bet on the election, I think Lieberman will win. Always remember rule #2, people fear change.

Quick Middle East Update: More people are killed in Iraq each day that have been killed in the entire Israel-Lebanon conflict. I was reading a very interesting article in TIME about how horrible life is in Iraq and it also mentioned the problems of the new government the US endorses, the Iraq Unity Government (comprised of both Sunni and Shiite members). However, isn’t it hypocritically of the US to promote a “unity” government, there isn’t one democrat in the entire Cabinet. An Iraq Unity Government is probably just a dream; if the world had a 20 year plan for Iraq it might work, but if we want to get out as soon as possible, it will fail. I think Iraq (and possible the US) will eventually split into two or three sovereign states. It wouldn’t be the worst choice, besides the boundaries are completely artificial anyway.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There goes Lieberman into the sunset! ;)
yo momma

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy