Costco

Molly and I went to Costco the other day to get some basic supplies. Lindy has a Costco membership, but had taken the card with her to work. She thought that if I went to the customer service, they would give me something so I can shop, but alas, that was not the case. I was denied the ability to spend my money because I was not the actual member. Why is this? Why are these bulk warehouse stores the only ones to have memberships? Isn’t there a market for bulk items by themselves? If Costco charges 2% more, they would still have great prices for people willing to purchase bulk items. Wouldn’t that 2% cover everyone’s membership and just imagine how many more people would shop there. Walmart has proven that if you have enough customers you will make a huge overall profit, even if you are only making a tiny profit on each item. Furthermore, Costco doesn’t have a trial or test membership. Why not offer people a test drive and then they can see the benefits for themselves. If Lindy never had a membership, I never would have gone there in my lifetime (since I wasn’t going to pay $50 for something unknown). Sam’s Club also requires a membership. Either there is a market out there for a bulk, warehouse style store that doesn’t require a membership or the idea of a membership store should expand to other areas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy