My voice is my passport, verify me

Click here to listen to my Superbowl prediction.

Somehow this has lead me to ask the question; is reading a book more education than listening to a book on tape? If the technology to transfer text to voice improves that I believe most books and publications will be available through a voice emulator. What about the idea that you can go to your online newspaper of choice, check of a list of all the news stories you are interested in, and a virtual person, with a virtual voice, would read them. I don’t watch the news on TV because most of it is just sensationalism, but what if I could choose what I wanted to hear. Would I really care if the news reporter was a real person or an animation? Maybe I should start a TV station that works with digital cable and you can choose what topics you want to hear from a list or even from a google search. Discus.

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=1710&sound=27

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
Interesting game. It seems the only winning move is, not to play.

The difference between listening to a voice and reading: if you are listening, the voice, the intonation, the tone, the emphasis, the accent are all provided for you. When you are reading, you are making it all up in your head. Also when you listen, it's much harder to pause, and think, to let you mind wander, and then go back to reading. Or to re-read a particularly interesting segment. Usually people just let the audio continue.

I think reading exercises your brain muscles more, but it still is good to digest information no matter what format.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy