What will I have in common with Rhea Mons

I’m almost done reading The Baby Whisperer, by Tracy Hogg. I have to say that I like the general philosophy that the book tries to promote. Namely, 1) to take your time, 2) respect your baby as an person, 3) have a general structure the day in order to build general habits, 4) everything is harder than we assume, 5) it is possible to understand what your baby is telling you. The book often is vague, but justifies itself by saying that babies, parents, circumstances, and environments are all factors and its impossible to give examples for every possible combination.

I really like the idea that Molly is a person, with her own thoughts, rights, and needs. She should be respected and treated as a helpless person and not “the baby”. I’m hoping that one day I might understand what her little and big noises and cries mean. I remember when Abigail was little and it was so frustrating to try to figure out what she wanted. Perhaps if I can figure out just a few of her cries it would be great. For example, if she cries exact same way every time she is scared than I will not only know to comfort her, but if she has a different cry than I can probably assume it’s something besides being scares. Of course, if I can figure out her cries for when she is hungry, tried, wet, gassy, cold, hot, bored, overstimulated, or anything else that would be great.

These are my hopes and expectations as of today. I think that Lindy and I will be good parents and that it will be very, very difficult. I expect Molly to cry for reasons I can’t seem to understand. I expect that this will be the biggest challenge is Lindy’s life and that she doesn’t (can’t possible) understand that yet. I know that we will do our best and that Molly will grow up to rule the world.

I’m not scared. I’m not anxious (cause I know I’m not ready), but I know it’s out there and I know it’s good.

Besides, if Pauline Koch, Anna Maria Walburga Pertl, Rhea Mons, and Lee Hou-Cheun could do it, so can I.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
You can't do it. Give up now. Give the baby back. You got a gift receipt right? You can exchange her for a fish. A nice fish.
lindy said…
Except for Lee Hou Chen these are all women. I think what these people's dad's mostly did was not much. They probably came in and yelled from time to time. I think you'll be better than that- and you already have the best possible fish in the world- accident? i think not.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy