East of Eden: Timshel and Misery

East of Eden: Not since the World According to Garp have I been as depressed after reading a book. Perhaps that is the point and the pleasure for some people, as the idea of finding happiness through your own suffering is a major theme in the story. From a literary standpoint it is a very well written book, although too long at times. The descriptions of early California are eloquent and beautiful, but the characters are hyperbole and shallow. The book prepares the reader to learn something, but fails to deliver anything positive. Of course, the book has a point, but the point is misery. Overall, I give East of Eden a C-. There is more I could write, but I’d rather never think of this book again. I’ve read several serious books in a row (Khrushchev biography, Portable Nietzsche, and East of Eden) and I think I need something light-hearted. Usually, I would grab the nearest Kurt Vonnegut book that I haven’t read, but I might have read them all. Any recommendations?

Note to world: Never read the World According to Garp. It is better written than East of Eden and therefore the misery is even more prominent.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
I didn't get depressed with Garp. I got depressed with 1984 by Orwell. My book suggestions for you:

If you want to hate the Senate more: Master of the Senate. - Robert Caro (Won his second pultizer for this one).

If you want to believe politicians can be good people: Truman by McCulough. (Pulitzer)

In fact, I would say, any pulitzer prize winning book is going to be pretty good. (Except if Joseph Ellis write it.)
http://www.pulitzer.org/Archive/archive.html
Dan Lipka said…
Spam to my blog. Are you kidding me!!
Glen Lipka said…
ADVERTISMENT
Want to have your questions answered? This one is especially for you!
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=205770

Im so funny. Ha ha.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy