Auto-Mobiles

Searching for a new car can be a harrowing experience. On a personal level, I just despise the whole process. Nevertheless, it has to be done. The main problem for me is too much selection. Every car has its advantage and disadvantage is in the end, you get the same value regardless. I would like to be a good person and get a hybrid; however, most are too expensive. (Note: at today’s gas prices, the savings Hybrids provide on gas won’t match the additional costs of the car until you have it for 4-5 years). I had high hopes for the Toyota Prius and yesterday we managed to find one to test drive (they are sold out at almost all locations). Everything looked good, except for one little thing, my legs didn’t fit. I couldn’t move my leg from the break to the gas without smashing the steering wheel. At 6’2”, I am tall, actually in the top 10%, but there are a lot of us. Quick calculations tell me that there are approximately 15 million men in the US my height or taller, and none of them can fit into the Prius.

So now there is the Honda Civic Hybrid, but it doesn’t have nearly as good gas mileage (34 vs. 44), is not as highly rated, and it smaller overall (so I probably won’t fit either). On the other end of the spectrum in the SUV. There are dozens of these gas guzzling, roomy and reliable cars. My favorite actually has horrible gas mileage, that it the Hyundai Tucson with it’s 17 miles per gallon. But it is reliable, big, has a great warranty, and cheap. Of course, for a little more cash I could get the Toyota Rav-4 or the Honda CRV and get a better car, but a worse warranty. Then there are all of the American cars, who are dirt cheap, but less reliable.

I need something before winter. Any suggestions?

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
I've been a passenger in the Toyota Matrix. It's inexpensive, great gas mileage and actully pretty roomy. And its called the Matrix. THe ending of which is a total ripoff of the Last Dragon.
Anonymous said…
Can you get one of those cars from the Flintstones. Great gas mileage (in fact no gas needed) and it would keep you fit.
lindy said…
or you could be a PIONEER and get any diesel car and convert it inexpensively to run on restaurant oil. I really think we should do this. French fries are the future.
Katie Lipka said…
I think they're called FREEDOM Fries, Lindy.

OR you could move to California where they have alternative bio-fuel stations already cropping up along I-80. Those crazy California environmentalists!

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy