Inspiration

My father is a pessimist, and old fashion pessimist. When talking about almost anyone in his life there is almost nobody that seemed to have inspired him. However, (besides sports heroes) there are only a few exceptions, well there are really two; two brothers. When my father talks about John and Robert Kennedy (especially Robert) his face lights up, he smiles, and his eyes look 30 years younger. There haven’t been any public figures in my entire life that has ever made me feel that sense of inspiration, brought on by their personal confidence, intellect, and convictions, that Robert Kennedy apparently brought to entire generation. A true leader, whose own convictions are those of the people, and who had the ability to convey his ideas and see them thought. No public figure I know meets that simple standard. I recognize that the media has played a role in forcing public figures to be especially conservative with their thoughts and their policies. The media’s intense search and focus on any negative, no matter how trivial, had forced public figures to only say something approved of already. I hope that this is the case for people our most current set of Presidential Candidates, as it would be too sad to think that they actually only believe in the genetic, safe, solutions that they show on debates and in their lives. Sadly, I can only hope that they really have good ideas, meant to promote progress, but are scared to share them. Since I have no first experience with a moral, realistic, progressive leader who transcends the pubic and just stated by they believe; and I am left with just hidden hopes. Even Bill Clinton, who I thought was an exceptional President, does not inspire me. As an Executive of our government he was more than I could have hoped for, but as a leader, he was just ordinary. Maybe it isn’t time yet, maybe those special people come only once in a generation, and I will wait for the person that I can talk to Molly about with the same delight that my father talks about those two departed brothers.

Comments

Dan Welch said…
You make me sad. Come to the city. there is fun stuff here....well mostly alcohol but its entertaining.
Anonymous said…
Who is Molly?, your paternal figure is to me well-known, I coexist with her

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy