My First Adventure

28 years ago, on this very day, my life officially began. I remember it pretty well considering the overall drama. There I was, in what I would learn to call the womb. It was really cramped, but I was doing ok. My womb was soft and comfortable, I slept most of the time, and I didn’t have to worry about anything. Now, I thought this was normal life. I heard voices from outside the womb, but thought that it was just people in neighboring wombs. I knew that I was still just some kind of baby because I didn’t know what the voices where saying, but I just assumed that I would pick it up eventually. I wasn’t worried; in fact I thought that I might have some more parts to grow. I was sure that my eyes would turn into something useful and I thought that each finger might have some special purpose too. I thought everything was really nice and I couldn’t image any other kind of world; one where you have breathe air (I didn’t even know what air was) and where to have to put food in your mouth. I just assumed that the womb would get bigger and bigger as I did.

And than it happened. With a rush and a whirl I was plopped on the bottom of the womb (before than I just floated and didn’t know there were sides to things). Everything felt so acrid and course. My hands and arms felt heavy and squished. I had experienced a great many things over the past nine months, but this was completely new. It was so crowded at first, but than the womb opened up and on one end was a little slide. I didn’t know where it went, but I thought “Do you want to life forever?” and I slid, face first down the slide. Weeeee, around and around I went, I think there was a loop-da-loop in the middle and then I picked up speed and woosh, out I came.

My eyes opened and I looked around for the first time. There was all these things moving around and making all this noise and I was wondering what was going on. Was the circus in town? My eyes felt more comfortable and I saw this big thing reach over and than Bam!, he cut the cord. I thought that it was all over for me, but it wasn’t. I opened my mouth and instead of goo, air rushed in. I looked down at my belly button and felt free. I smiled and giggled and waited for these giant things to put me in my new womb. I bet it’s going to be huge and have a castle to swim though and toys and with no cord so I can go where I please. I even thought the new womb might have some kind of Jacuzzi.

I spend the next two years wondering when my new womb will be ready. But by than I learned to understand what the people were saying and I came to accept the truth. (Well, not the whole truth; nobody told me about puberty, or tests, or working). And now 28 years later, my darling wife and I made a baby of our own. I image Molly playing in her own womb, dancing and jumping, totally unaware of what is going to happen. Than again, maybe she knows and can’t wait to swoosh her way down the slide and into our lives. I know I can’t wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy