Mind Games

How many voices are in your head? I have at least two, maybe three. Several years ago, I first released that they are each independent and capable of concurrent, unique thought. I was golfing and I kept forgetting the correct techniques and thus lost many a golf ball. However, I realized that I can have one voice repeating “keep your head down” and the other say “hit through the ball” at the same time. Lately, I’ve been thinking about this more. I’ve been practicing counting up numbers and saying the alphabet at the same time (one voice for each). Although these are very simple things, it is quite a mental challenge (note: I’m not thinking 1,2,A,3,B,C,4,5; I am thinking the numbers in my seemingly more prominent thought and the letters in a background, yet both are completely simultaneous (imagine literally hearing two voices). I do think that the two voices are not equal, but I can’t yet describe how, except to say that my initial thought patterns is always “louder” and more functional that the background voice. I’ve tried other techniques to tap into these noises in my mind, such closing my eyes and quickly tapping each pointer finger against a surface at the same time. I set it up so that I don’t know what the surface will be. I only tap my fingers for a second (but at the exact same time) and than I try to identify what each finger touched. Than I’ll try it with three fingers and than four (anything more than four and I can’t keep track of what they are all feeling. (Four makes my brain hurt)). Basically, I am trying to register four, simultaneous, unique sensations at the same time. I hypothesis is that each “voice” in my head can register and process each sensation separately. I think some people can do this with music (i.e. hear each instrument separately, but at the same time).

What can this lead to? Can I understand two conversations at once? Watch two football games at the same time. Learn to write with both hands. Is the mind like s muscle, if I keep pushing it, will it get stronger? Does anyone do this? Can anyone do this? Is this common knowledge? I find it odd that I get the same mental sensation when I read overwhelming quantum physics concepts as I do when I just try to [concurrently] count and say the alphabet.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
I have learned to turn down the volume on kids whining and turn up the volume on kid choking while leaving the volume normal on adult conversation or television.

I think this is like speed reading. You can train yourself to do anything.

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy