This and that

Here are some random thoughts, insights, and questions from the last few days.

I called the IRS hotline to try to find out a tax question. I had looked for my answer online and spent several hours over the past week doing so. The IRS seemed like my last resort. As it turned out, the phone was picked up very quickly after only two automated prompts. After explaining what I was looking for, I was transferred to an actual person who picked up right away. He had all my answers and even gave me the exact tax code reference when I asked. He was friendly, informative and efficient. Who would have guessed?

Why are US troops attacking Falluja. What is the rush, the insurgents aren't hurting the locals, but not wait until the Iraqi army can handle this. Why occupy a city that doesn't want us. If we are leaving pretty soon anyway, what is the point, what are our goals?

Planning a wedding is stressful, but all things can be worked out. I'm trying to remember that everyone has different priorities and different perspectives. Also, fundamental differences can not merge into one middle ground, instead compromise one thing for a separate thing seems to work. Maybe this can be the same in Politics, maybe the President should be a moral figurehead, and than we could have a Prime Minister to do the actual work.

Ever since I started this blog, I have written almost nothing in my next novel. I don't think it is completely a coincidence.

As lastly, I wanted to clarify my position on the future of New York State. I do not believe or promote that New York should in any way violate any laws against the United States. The goal of my fledgling organization is to "allow the people of New York State to vote on a legitimate referendum calling for the creation of a independent nation within the boarders of New York.” I am not saying what we should do after this vote or if it should be acted on in any way. All I am doing is promoting a referendum, which I believe in clearly protected by the first amendment.

I am considering calling my fledgling organization, "Progressive Nation", what do you think? Any other suggestions?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Start a new country, do it. I don't know how its possible but do it, I'm sick of the religious idiots in the south running this damn country. One only need look at the last election and see what states are red and blue....Northeast US blue. South red. I hate jebus

-Dan satan welch
Anonymous said…
Hi Dan. Didn't I tell you so? I think I mentioned (a few times) last February, when I was doing my taxes, that the IRS has become very user-friendly and efficient. I love them! Even more when I'm getting a refund...

I hope all is well at IRC. Give my regards to my old desk. :)

Alissa

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy