Dark Days and Ages

I think I might be hitting the wall. There is so much to do and I haven’t had good focus lately. However, there is no time to slack, I have to pull it together. I need to find an apartment, I need to get ready for the baby, I need to deal with school, I need to deal with work, and I need to start exploring my career options. There is just so much, but I can do. I hope.

There was a lot that I wanted to write about, but of course, this hasn’t exactly been tops on my list of priorities. I wanted to read the Iliad, but instead I’m reading a Pulitzer-prize winning biography on Khrushchev. It’s way to long for me and I’m debated whether reading this is help or hinder my ability to think clearly. It also doesn’t seem to be a book I can just read on the subway. We’ll see how it goes.

In my ethics class, we talk a lot about Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and I am amazed by the complexity and insights they possessed two thousand years ago. The progress they were making was remarkable. Part of the reason they was so successful were the stability of the Roman Empire and new roads to explore the known world. It not for the dark ages (in which the known world was mostly fighting for or against the Christians) I think the 21st century world would have occurred 1,000 years ago. 2005 should really be much more advanced than it is. I feel like time was stolen and 1,000 years from now, somebody will have my job (pushing a button twice a week).

Another topic be talked about it the nature of man. Plato said there were five types of people and each of them would come to power within certain types of government.

1. Wisdom Lovers: Rule by Philosophers (Aristocracy).
2. Honor Lover: Rule by Guardians (Timocracy);
3. Money Lovers #1: the rich (Oligarchy);
4. Freedom Lovers: Rule by Producers #2: everyone (Democracy);
5. Power Lovers: Rule by one (Tyranny).

Of course Aristotle thought a Democracy would be ruled money lovers, but what does he know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy