More Life Changes

More Life Changes

1/5 score and seven days ago, I embarked on a most fulfilling journey, that now is coming to an end. It was at the time that I joined the International Rescue Committee (IRC), filling the newly created position of Grants Officer. For 80 years, the IRC has been dedicated to helping refugees throughout the world. Four years ago, I scarcely knew what a refugee was, but the IRC needed a writer and I needed to get out of the private sector. Today, I have gained some perspective into the lives and struggles of over 20,000,000 refugees worldwide. These are people who were forced to leave their own country out of a well-founded fear of perspective. A huge majority of refugees are innocent women and children who were a horrible victim of circumstance. The stories I have heard serve both to terrify and well as to inspire. Up to 70,000 refugees get to come to the US each year to be resettled by agencies like the IRC and I am proud to have been part of their work. I used my best skills to contribute to this noble cause and I have no regrets. However, today the position of Grants Officer is no longer new and uncertain. I have implemented vast systems and procedures for streamlining the resettlement grant process. I feel that my contribution to the IRC have been completed; I feel free to move on.

As I recently received my Executive MPA from Columbia, I had various options to pursue. However, in the end, I choose a position that would satisfy more then just my career, but also another, perhaps more important, part of my life. I have take a part-time position as Director of Projects at the Westchester Children’s Association (WCA). This position would need to work two days in the office and one day at home per week. The salary is less then if I moved onto a full-time position somewhere else, but I weighed the value of being able to spend more time with my family to be of the greatest importance. I will also have time to pursue other interests, such as completed my second full-length novel or starting my own non-profit organization.

I am taking a great chance in my endeavourers, but I believe that this is the best choice for me and my family. My main task at the WCA will be to complete a detailed statistical research book of children’s issue in Westchester. The task will be complete in one year and at that point I will once again reevaluate my options and strive to achieve my long-term personal and professional goals.

Comments

Glen Lipka said…
Good luck. Westchester sounds like a place where many children need you. I believe in you. Go Daniel! Go Daniel!

D-A-N-Y DAN! DAN! DAN!

Who is the Master?! (of public administration?)

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy