Vacation

Sweet, sweet, vacation. A week ago Saturday Lindy, Molly, and I headed off to the west coast. It was our first family vacation and I knew it was going to be different based on the shear size and number of bags we had. Usually, Lindy and I can pack everything we need, for any amount of time into one medium size roller bag (for her) and a gray backpack (for me); however, we had a lot more. Amazing the things that little Molly must need. We left at 4:00am Saturday morning and all was well. We got on the plane to Los Angeles (via a plane switch in Philadelphia) (note: we fly standby, so just getting on a flight is always a worry), and Molly slept or ate the whole time. Lindy hasn’t been back to LA in months and was over-happy to be there, and had tried to design a schedule that would be relatively relaxing, but filled with activities. The highlight of our trip in LA was our visit to Legoland. I have to admit that I was hesitant about going there, but it was really interesting and the logo art/engineering/construction was simple amazing . I was sad when we had to leave early, but looked forward to meeting Lindy’s uncle in San Diego and going to a San Diego Chargers game. The game was fun and the Chargers crushed the Giants, but I couldn’t get over the idea of drunken, football crazed fans wearing light sky-blue and yellow jerseys. We stayed the night in San Diego, but our portable GPS was stolen out of our car, and we spent the morning trying to deal with a police report. Next, we visited my godfather for the afternoon (who had never met Molly). All was well, but I was getting almost no sleep. Then back to Los Angeles for dinner and more visits. I decided to go to San Francisco on Tuesday (to visit family and for a wedding) on Tuesday and Lindy joined me the next day.

My brother and his family, including three of the cutest little boys, used to live in New York and I saw them all the time, but they moved to California a few years ago and I miss them very much. It was really good to see them and my brother’s oldest son, Ethan was especially glad that “Uncle Daniel” was there for a visit. He was the oldest when he left New York and thus I had spent the most quality time with him. On Wednesday, Katie (my brother’s wife), the two younger boys (Jared and Matthew) picked Ethan up from Kindergarten and we all went to a traveling circus in town. We played and watched and ate candy and it was fun, but there were a few things we didn’t have time for and the boys were upset. Appreciate the good things, we would preach, but perhaps we overindulged them too much. The next day, with Lindy and Molly by my side, we all went to the exploratorium (it’s a science museum, of sorts). I love the Exploratorium and didn’t want to leave, but we had other obligations and so our stay was only a few hours.

On Friday night, Molly, Lindy and I went to my old roommate’s (Iain’s) wedding in Danville, CA. It was an odd ceremony, a mix of traditional Scottish customs and a Bahá'í religious ceremony. It was a nice ceremony, but the bride and groom only spoke four words to each other. It made me really appreciate that Lindy and I sculpted our ceremony to include our original thoughts and feelings. Bagpipes concluded the ceremony and traditional Persian music was the first song of dance. Molly was content for a while, but when the started to blast Kool and the Gang, she needed some quiet. We found a place of quiet after a while, than Molly got her second wind and we danced and played for a while (although she got sleepy and we still left kinda early). And to Iain and his bride, Briana, who are in Hawaii right now, I wish them a world of happiness and may all of their dreams come true.

We took the redeye home on Saturday and Lindy and I slept for a combines 27 seconds (although Molly slept reasonable well). Our vacation was over and time to go back to work and to our routines. It was a good vacation and I am happy we did so much. (pictures of Molly’s first vacation will be posted shortly at http://molly.kokopop.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Shakespeare Tickets - Contest #3

The Constitution and Justice

Lessons from History - Democracy